This class is for those who have played guitar for quite a while and are ready to learn advanced techniques and skills. A student in level 3 guitar should possess a knowledge of all the basics including proper fretting and picking, can play most of all of the open chords, possesses an advanced understanding of how the notes are laid across the fretboard (could you find the note “A” in many different places?), and can comprehend the languages of standard notation and tablature.
Not sure which class to sign up for? You can always contact one of the instructors for clarification.
This class is all about advanced guitar skills including incorporating barre chords, power chords, improvisation techniques, and making music together in an ensemble/band setting. For students coming from USD305 - this is the perfect class to enroll in once you have completed level 1 guitar in school.
Tuesdays 6:30 PM January 10- April 4
Minimum 4; Maximum 25
8 to adult. Students who enroll for Advanced Guitar will need to have had a previous introduction to guitar and be able to understand and demonstrate the following:
- How to hold a guitar properly and use proper left and right hand technique
- A basic knowledge of reading treble clef notation for guitar
- How to read tablature and understand how it relates to the fretboard
- Be able to play a variety of chords and understand how to read a chord diagram
- Any questions about class placement can be directed to the instructor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Any student who attended South Middle or Lakewood Middle School and has finished level 1 guitar class or higher should register for this class.
- Guitar: Preferably an acoustic or classical guitar, but an electric guitar will work, as well. If the student only has an electric they will not be able to plug into an amplifier during group lessons and will be very quiet during class. Guitar needs to have relatively new strings and be able to hold a tune. Questions about guitar and string quality can be directed to the instructor or S.M. Hanson music store. The Mike Finnigan School of Music has 5 acoustic guitars that are available for checkout on a first come, first serve basis for the duration of the semester. Students who need to check out one of these guitars should inquire about availability prior to registration. Contact the instructor at email@example.com
- Picks: 3 to 4 medium gauge picks
- Music: All music, including accompaniment tracks, will be available to students online. If the student does not have internet access, please inquire about having physical copies made for the student.
- Chords across all keys of music- including how to utilize a capo across all keys
- Barre Chords
- Improvisation Techniques - including the pentatonic scales and blues scales
- Ensemble playing incorporating lead, bass, and rhythm into a modern band setting.
- Advanced reading of both standard notation and tablature
- How to perform both with a group and individually