This class is for anyone who is new to the guitar. We’ll explore everything from how to hold the guitar all the way up to playing your first songs. If you’re just picking up a guitar for the first time this is a great place to start! Our guitar classes are multi-generational classes so anyone age 8 to adult is welcome to sign up to learn to play! Parents and grandparents can even sign up to learn guitar alongside your kids!
Tuesdays 4:30 PM Sept 13- Nov 29
4 Minimum; 25 Maximum
8 to adult
- Guitar: Preferably an acoustic or classical guitar, but an electric guitar will work, as well. If the student only has an electric they will not be able to plug into an amplifier during group lessons and will be very quiet during class. Guitar needs to have relatively new strings and be able to hold a tune. Questions about guitar and string quality can be directed to the instructor or S.M. Hanson music store. The Mike Finnigan School of Music has 5 acoustic guitars that are available for checkout on a first come, first serve basis for the duration of the semester. Students who need to check out one of these guitars should inquire about availability prior to registration.
- Picks: 3 to 4 medium gauge picks
- Music: All music, including accompaniment tracks, will be available to students online. If the student does not have internet access, please inquire about having physical copies made for the student
- How to properly hold the guitar
- Proper fretting technique
- Various right hand picking techniques, including: rest stroke, free stroke, and using a pick
- How notes are laid out across the fretboard
- Basic rhythms, including: whole notes, half notes, quarter notes and sixteenth notes.
- How to read both standard notation and tablature
- How to perform both with a group and individually