This class is for those who know the basics of guitar playing and are ready to take their skills to the next level. A student in level 2 guitar should possess a knowledge of how to properly hold the guitar, how to hold down the strings to produce a clear sound, a basic understanding of how the notes are laid across the fretboard (could you find the note “A” in several different places?), how to read a chord frame and play a few basic chords. Not sure which class to sign up for? You can always contact one of the instructors for clarification.
We’ll concentrate on building skills to take your guitar playing to the next level. This class is the perfect next step for previous Mike Finnigan School of Music students or any student who is past the introductory stage.
Tuesdays 5:30 p.m. Sept 13- Nov 29
Minimum 4; Maximum 25
Ages 8 to adult. Students who enroll for Intermediate Guitar will need to have had a previous introduction to guitar and be able to understand and demonstrate the following:
- How to hold a guitar properly and use proper left and right hand technique
- Any questions about class placement can be directed to the instructor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Any student who attended South Middle or Lakewood Middle School and had an introduction to guitar in music class should be ready for this class.
- Guitar: Preferably an acoustic or classical guitar, but an electric guitar will work, as well. If the student only has an electric they will not be able to plug into an amplifier during group lessons and will be very quiet during class. Guitar needs to have relatively new strings and be able to hold a tune. Questions about guitar and string quality can be directed to the instructor or S.M. Hanson music store. The Mike Finnigan School of Music has 5 acoustic guitars that are available for checkout on a first come, first serve basis for the duration of the semester. Students who need to check out one of these guitars should inquire about availability prior to registration. Contact the instructor at email@example.com
- Picks: 3 to 4 medium gauge picks
- Music: All music, including accompaniment tracks, will be available to students online. If the student does not have internet access, please inquire about having physical copies made for the student.
- Chords in the keys of G, D, and A
- Proper fretting technique
- How notes are laid out across the fretboard
- Ensemble playing incorporating lead, bass, and rhythm into a modern band setting.
- How to read both standard notation and tablature
- How to perform both with a group and individually